Sunday, August 29, 2010

World of Dance: San Diego

Just got back World of Dance in a Whale's Vagina.
Woke up at 9am and got ready.
Picked up Mike then Willy and his friend Maddy.
Then we made our way to SD, the car ride was pretty cool but we did hit traffic so it was slow at some points.
Got there early anyway and found parking near the venue.
I originally thought the event was going to be in the SD Convention Center but it turned out to be in the SD Counture or something? So it was a lot smaller than I had expected.
Eh, whatever.
Met up with Jenn and Julie and two of her friends at the front. Didn't get to hangout with them as much though during the event :[
Ate Panera's...good sandwiches yet very filling.
Then went in line to get in the event.
Waited for about 2 FRIGGIN' HOURS! It was ridiculous, just sitting there.
Finally get in and find out the bboy event was outside.
Ventured inside the building and saw a few vendors here and there and the main stage where the choreo competition was taking place.
There was also a dance floor for jerkin'/dougie/poppin' I suppose.
A lot of SD/OC bboys showed up. I saw a few LA heads so Mike and I just decided to enter the 2 on 2's but I really didn't feel ready because lately my practice has been kinda off. Needa focus on getting better but the past week no matter how much I forced myself, it still seemed unsatisfying to my taste.
Needa improve and today gave me that motivation to do so because I see that a lot of people have gotten better.
Out of about 30 crews, the judges would only pick a Top 8 so chances were very slim we'd make it to the next level but it's cool because like I said before, I didn't feel ready.
For my prelim round, I felt satisfied because I was focusing on just staying clean and executing nicely but next battle ima try to dish out some new stuff.
Anyway on with the highlights of the event.
Jerkin' vs. Breakin'! HAHAHA I knew this was going to happen, the jerkers had a better dance floor inside the venue and the bboys slowly started creeping onto it to warm up as well. Soon a cypher formed and then the clash began!
I didn't take part of the event because for one thing why would I want to battle jerkers? I did record some of it though so hopefully I'll post it up in the future but let's just say it was pretty heated. It's just funny how serious bboys can get and this battle is funny indeed.
Moving along, the new school battles were all right. I honestly feel if my squad from the last WOD entered this event, we could've made it far but it was dope to see new heads and people improving their skills.
Didn't stay to watch the final battle nor did I stay for the 2 on 2 final so you're gonna have to look up on youtube or something to figure out who won what, where.
Justdoit was crazy in his exhibition...it's doper to see him in person because his flow and musicality is very on point..very unpredictable.
I think the best battle of the night that got me hype was the crew exhibition battle between Battle Born and Bang Uh Rang. Both sides came out hard...definitely check that one out when you can.
Another highlight would be that I didn't get any of my shit stolen! Yaaaay!
I didn't seriously injure my knee again! Yaaaaaaaaay!
Bought two spin beanies! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Now I can magically do headspins!

And the lowpoints would probably be:
- The long ass wait in the line to get in.
- Small venue...

Uhm...that's it!
I also peeped some of the choreo performances...some were pretty dope but others were weird fashion show/walking around during music and posing shows...yeah, I don't know.
Then left the event and dropped off Willy's friend in Irvine and ate at JJ's.
Came home and here I am!
I will probably update with pictures and videos when I get the chance but for now...enjoy my words with your imagination!!!

Oh yeah! And peep this..

Best song for roadtrips! HAHAHA

...WOD Pomona was better.

No comments: