Sunday, October 18, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are


I saw this movie last night with my girlfriend. I didn't really know what to expect from a movie that is being adapted from a 37 page children's book but the cinematography and costumes looked amazing from the trailer.
I actually loved the book as a child and read it frequently so I did have high hopes for the film...I just didn't know what to expect from it.
The writers had to work with a small book and adapt it to a feature length movie...which means a lot of add-ons to the story...which might be good or bad.
Now a lot of people are going to have mixed reviews about the film and I don't blame them. After walking out of the theater I contemplated to myself if I liked the film because it was actually a good movie or because of the hype surrounding the film because of how good the book was.
First and foremost the movie does not beat the book.
The film adds many more emotional elements through the monsters' personalities and with the boy.
Spike Jonze really goes in-depth through of the imagination of a child but at the same time the dark tones of the film make me wonder if this film was made for children or for adults?
The movie lasted about an hour and 30 minutes but in all honestly it felt like a two hour movie that didn't really have a real plot but analyzed the emotional issues the boy Max and the monsters go through. The monsters in my opinion are components of Max's personality and family because each monster has a distinct feature that makes one different from each other. The film is an on-going struggle of how Max wants to make the monsters happy but the monsters each want something different so this internally shows Max is struggling to find a balance within himself about what truly makes him happy as well.
Basically the film is about Max's journey about self-discovery through his own creative imagination. But his imagination is something he cannot control as he makes himself their leader and finds out that things will not always go the way he wants. He discovers that the wild things' emotional reactions and outbursts reflect his own actions and he discovers a lesson about himself and how he treats others, specifically his mother.
Now the message is a deep one but does that make up for a good movie? All based upon the viewer's opinion. I for one was waiting for the film's conclusion because it felt like it was dragging on with no real purpose other than the one stated above. But after analyzing the film's elements and themes, it did teach the value of a child's imagination as well as learning the responsibilities of growing up.
I did reflect Max's personality when I was a kid, running around and screaming but at the same time I grew annoyed of his behavior.
Pretty much if you're a fan of the book then go ahead and check it out. If you've never read the book and you're going to watch it then be prepared for some random shit.
This film seems to be intended for the more older and mature kids. I highly doubt 5 year old children will be studying the emotional aspects of a bunch of monsters. They will most likely be amazed at the outstanding costumes of the wild things but other than that will probably fall asleep an hour into the movie.
I probably will not watch this movie again but REMEMBER that does not mean it's a bad movie but I guess I had different tastes and expected something different...
Some may find this movie amazing and others may find it a waste of time. To each their own...just don't believe the hype and like it for your own reasons.
The soundtrack is pretty dope too.

I like this song.

Ima give this film a 6/10.

Oh yeah! And I also learned if your child runs away then comes back home just feed him soup and chocolate cake and everything will be better -_-

No comments: