Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wrist Update

It’s been about two weeks since I’ve injured my right wrist from doing flares and airchairs. There has always been a slight pain in my wrist but just enough to tolerate it.
Then one night at session my hand finally gave in and I could barely move it.
So I took a week off from practice allowing it to heal but it was still aching.
I had two options at that point: 1.) Rest and take a long hiatus from dancing to let it heal or 2.) Say fuck it and practice whatever I can do.
Of course I went with number 2 because I’m just that stubborn.
I hate getting injured because it does hold you back from your full potential but after practicing for a week with only one arm I experimented with new ideas and started training other parts of my body.
My right arm is my dominant arm in B-boyin’ which is ironic because I’m left handed. I believe my left arm possesses more strength and my right arm has more balance but I’d never do anything on my left arm until a week ago.
I started training my left arm with more poses, drops, and one handed footwork…which by the way is a pain in the ass but fun nonetheless. I can pretty much only practice moves that don’t require my right hand which is actually a majority of my moves but I’m having fun with this new learning experience.
I do feel slight improvements day by day. My mills seem faster and smoother and I’m attaining more balance in my left hand. I still miss doing flares and what not. I hope when my wrist heals, I’ll still be able to do them instead of starting from scratch but my philosophy is, if you can do it before you can do it again. Just gotta retrain the body and mind.
For example, last year when I badly injured my knee I couldn’t do footwork at all. So I started to drill flares and airchairs and soon I began to improve. Right now my focuses are mills, left handed moves, and one handed throwdowns.
I’m not sure when this injury will fully heal but I can’t let something like this stop me from doing something I love to do.

Wish me luck!

PEACE

No comments: