Monday, January 18, 2010

"YONGMONEY"

The rise of the new name.
I have recently adopted a new alias in B-boyin' or a general nickname.
In my early years of dancing, I went by the nickname "Monk" because at the time I had a shaven head, did not talk a lot, and was dedicated to an art that required complete discipline and focus, i.e. B-boyin', Martial Arts, and so forth.
As the years went by, I began to just go by my regular name, "Yong" being that there aren't many Yongs in the American scene. If I had happened to move to Korea then perhaps I would change it to another name. But since I'm settled here in the great city of Los Angeles, California I decided Yong was unique enough amongst the general audience.
I went by my given name for quite some time and never considered looking for a new alias.
But up until recently my homie Tony called me Yong Money for fun being a relation to the popular rap group, "Young Money"

Although I am not a fan of their music I thought the relativity to the name was funny and at the same time catchy.
I also like the fact that it includes my real name instead of a complete random one.
Even though it wasn't official, the nickname somewhat stuck by itself.
I myself never told anyone to call me this alias but it grew on it's own.
Next came the definition.
What does it mean you ask.
It would be somewhat of a lame answer to say that it sounds like the popular rapper so I've drawn my own definition of what my AKA means to me just in case anyone tries to define it for me.
In my eyes, the "money" added to my name clarifies that I'm an individual PAYING my dues daily.
This can considered in B-boyin' or any other passion or activity I pursue.
Quite frankly this label applies to life itself.
We don't start out as professionals or with high status in the scene. We WORK our way up the ranks through struggles, victory and loss.
I am still an underdog in the scene of B-boyin' and even if I wasn't I'd still feel I am because I know never to get ahead of my own ego like so many people have.
I have to earn my props, respect and status in the game just as everyone else should.
This is also a statement that goes out to all those people out there who think they know what the fuck they're talking about when they haven't put in a dime's work into the scene or Breakin' itself.
The ones who practice one a week for an hour or two and go home to get on B-boyworld or youtube to talk shit about dancers who are actually in the scene.
The ones who are so ahead of themselves they grow delusional about how whack they really are and think they are God's gift to the Earth.

Now this name does not condone hatred but it is a reminder to myself that each and every one of us have to earn our stripes.
Nothing is free.

- Yong aka YONGMONEY

No comments: