Sunday, August 16, 2009

DISTRICT 9


So I just watched District 9 and I went in with mixed feelings about what to expect from this movie.
First and foremost let me just say that this was movie was awesome! I heard a lot of mixed reviews surrounding the film; some saying it was amazing and others stating the opposite.
I didn’t want to hype myself up and expect too much from this film because I personally feel once you do that...the movie will never satisfy your high standards.
The first half of the film opens up like a documentary but naturally transitions into a feature film.
The movie is centered on actor, Sharlto Copley who in my opinion did a tremendous job portraying his character Wikus Van De Merwe. He conveyed so many emotions throughout the film and developed his character from being a wimp to a believable badass. It’s also dope because this is his first feature film...
DO NOT expect a typical aliens trying to take over the world plot. The story is unique and offers a different perspective as to what humans would really do if aliens encountered our world.
While the first half is interesting it did move slowly but it really built up to the second half of the movie where the action grew bigger and bigger.
The CGI was amazing and the designs of the aliens were vivid and creative. The aliens also conveyed many emotions that you sympathize for their cause.
The alien weapons were dope as hell especially the Half Life gravity gun...the action scenes made me yell "OOOH!!!" repeatedly. I like the scene where the guy exploded..
While I was somewhat disappointed by the ending I was still satisfied with the outcome. The conclusion was very open ended and I wouldn’t be surprised if a sequel was in the works because I feel there could have been more to explain.
But overall it was a very enjoyable movie and probably one of the best summer films to come out in 2009.

Watch it.

No comments: